About the Black Lion Hotel

The Black Lion is a great little hotel set in the heart of the historic market town of Lampeter. Every bedroom is individually designed blending classic comforts with modern essentials.

Lampeter is a lovely little market town which is situated 21 miles North of Carmarthen and 26 miles South of Aberystwyth.

Dating from 1700s, the Black Lion Royal Hotel has been welcoming visitors through its doors for many years. Recently refurbished, the Black Lion retains all the heritage and charm of the original Georgian building, together with the modern comforts and contemporary luxuries of today.

  • We have 18 very comfortable, individually furnished bedrooms.
  • The food at the Black Lion is, where possible, Welsh and in season and always prepared fresh daily in our kitchen.
  • Food is served in the restaurant or bar depending on your choice of mood!
  • Lovingly restored, The Black Lion Hotel provides a superb setting for meetings, parties and wedding celebrations too, or perhaps an afternoon tea!

History of the Hotel

The Black Lion Hotel is an 18th century coaching inn and today is a grade II listed building and was once part of the Falcondale estate with the meadow behind it acting as a place for drovers to stay, who were changed halfpenny per animal for staying here. The dairy and cheese room make up today’s public bar and reception bar. The Black Lion Hotel was a coaching inn until the 1860’s as the population census for that decade refers to the proprietor being an innkeeper and becoming a hotel by 1871. The hotel was a principal social center of the town from the later 18th century and a great example of an earlier century coaching inn.

In the 1800s the Black Lion Royal Hotel was an extremely busy hostelry, always full of commercial and other travellers, packed with horses, grooms and post boys. It was also used by the Greyhound Coach company, which ran from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth, who used the Inn as an overnight stop where they could obtain fresh horses and rest themselves before continuing on their journey. The old Coach House can still be seen behind the back of the Black Lion, and the building itself is still in a good state of repair.